Professor Jan Barcz is Head of the Department of International and European Union Law. He is a member of editorial boards of such journals as Państwo i Prawo (The State and Law), Europejski Przegląd Sądowy (European Judicial Review), and Sprawy Międzynarodowe (International Affairs). Moreover, Barcz is a member of e.g. the International Law Association, the European Law Institute in Vienna, Team Europe (a group of experts of the European Commission in Poland), the Conference of Ambassadors of the Republic of Poland, and the Council for Relations with the EU for the Marshall of the Masovian voivodeship. Professor Barcz’s scientific interests focus on the legal aspects of Polish-German relations, the constitutional law of the EU, and the economic law of the EU. He is a former diplomat who worked, among other things, as the ambassador of Poland in Vienna (1995–2000).
2018–2020 – five projects (co-lead) implemented within the European Commission (Representation in Poland), concluded with the publication of collective works (see the listing of collective works).
2013–2016 – international research project “PADEMIA – Erasmus Academic Network on Parliamentary Democracy in Europe,” coordinated by the Jean-Monnet-Chair (JMC) at the University of Cologne, Germany (researcher).
2012–2013 – international research project “OPAL – The Observatory of Parliaments After the Lisbon Treaty,” a project funded by the research councils of the UK, France, Germany, and the Netherlands within the framework of Open Research (researcher).
Most Significant Academic Achievements:
1. Academic Textbooks
* (with M. Górka and A. Wyrozumska) Instytucje i prawo Unii Europejskiej (Institutions and Law of the European Union), Warsaw: Wolters Kluwer Polska, 2020) (6th edition).
* “Podstawy wiedzy o prawie Unii Europejskiej” (Basic Knowledge About the European Union Law), in: Zarys prawa (Introduction to Law), ed. J. Kuciński, Warsaw: Wolters Kluwer 2016) (2nd edition).
* (with E. Kawecka-Wyrzykowska and K. Michałowska-Gorywoda) Integracja europejska w okresie przemian. Aspekty ekonomiczne (European Integration in Transition Period: Economic Aspects), Warsaw: Polskie Wydawnictwo Ekonomiczne, 2016 (2nd edition).
* (editor) Prawo gospodarcze Unii Europejskiej (Economic Law of the European Union), Warsaw: Instytut Wydawniczy EuroPrawo, 2011, pp. 1131.
* (editor) Ustrój Unii Europejskiej (European Union System), Warsaw: Instytut Wydawniczy EuroPrawo, 2010 (2nd edition), 2 vols., ca. pp. 1800.
2. Lectures and Supervision of Master’s and Doctoral Theses
For several years now, Professor Barcz’s students participate in scientific conferences as part of their learning experience and organize conferences themselves as a form of an active exam. In the spring semester of 2020, they organized seven seminars on the participation of the EU in the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic, with honorable members of the European Commission from Brussels as guests. The seminars were organized in cooperation with the European Commission representatives in Warsaw.
Master’s and doctoral theses supervised by Professor Barcz regularly participate in competitions. Most significant awards were granted to: Martyna Wolińska’s “Gazociąg Północny w świetle prawa UE” (Nord Stream in the Light of the EU Law) received the Minister of Foreign Affairs Award for the best master’s thesis concerning international relations (2012); Michał Kruk’s “Znaki towarowe sprzeczne z porządkiem publicznym lub dobrymi obyczajami w UE. Kategoria bezwzględnych przesłanek odmowy udzielenia ochrony prawnej” (Trademarks Contrary to Public Order or Good Customs in the EU: The Category of Absolute Premises to Refuse Legal Protection) received the award of the president of the Patent Office of the Republic of Poland for the best doctoral dissertation concerning the protection of intellectual property.
As part of his membership in Team Europe, a group of experts of the European Commission in Poland, Barcz cooperates in didactic projects related to promoting knowledge about European integration and projects that popularize knowledge in the field.
Publikacje w czasopismach naukowych:
Rozdziały w monografiach: