KU implements the project „Dostępna-otwarta-kreatywna. ALK uczelnią równych szans” (Accessible-open-creative. ALK as a university of equal opportunities) co-financed by the European Social Fund - the Operational Programme "Knowledge Education Development", NCBiR is an intermediary institution in the project.
The project will be carried out from January 2021 for 34 months within the framework of the "Accessible University" competition and its aim is to provide people with special needs with free access to educational offer and possibility of participation in academic life.
The project will make it possible to determine the necessary needs of students and then prepare a plan for supporting them - providing care for students, during the didactic process, from the beginning of their studies. It will also enable cooperation with specialists in many fields, e.g. providing psychological support for the academic community - not only students, but also employees.
For a long time now, Kozminski University has placed great emphasis on the issues of business ethics and sustainable development. KU is in the first edition of Positive Impact Rating (PIR) as one of 30 business schools in the world and the only one from Poland. The rating was announced on January 22nd during the World Economic Forum in Davos. PIR is a list of the best business universities in terms of their social responsibility and concern for sustainable development, conducted by and for students.
Not only do we take actions to benefit the natural environment, but we also educate others, making it clear that even small changes and initiatives matter. Together with our students and employees we look for new areas where we can be more EKOZMINSKI.
- We have improved the thermal performance of the entire campus thus reducing the electricity consumption and, consequently, the amount of carbon dioxide emissions.
- We have a smart lighting management system and an internal air circulation system.
- We have reduced paper consumption by switching to electronic exams where possible (31% of paper saved) and adopting automatic duplex printing as standard. We also use Ecolabel® certified ecological paper.
- We segregate waste – we have paper, plastic, and glass containers and containers for used batteries in many places.
- We have completely moved away from plastic bottles and cups on the premises of our campus. Instead, we’ve introduced reusable paper cups. As part of the Zero Waste campaign, we do not use plastic cutlery and containers in our bars and cafeterias.
- There are soda fountains connected to the municipal water supply system in welfare areas and corridors, providing clean and good quality water.
Green infrastructure and transport
The Academy is located in the Natura 2000 area, which also obliges us to follow certain standards and rules. We want our campus not only to look good, but also to be friendly for the environment and all creatures living in it. In agreement with the authorities of the district of Praga Południe, the old, sickly and dangerous trees have been replaced by young ones. We also installed booths and bird feeders.
- We encourage our students and employees to use public transport. In order to make it easier for them, there are boards with timetables for trams and buses installed at the university.
- By the building D, there is a Veturilo bicycle station. For those who want to commute by their own bikes, we have put a special shed in the parking lot.
- We also have a charging station for electric cars (3 stands).
For years, our community has been involved in a range of charity initiatives, helping those who are in extreme situations – usually difficult and painful to bear.
- We offer financial and mental support to those in need, the poor, the sick, single parents.
- We support the activity of the children’s home in Zamość and the single mother’s home in Warsaw’s Białołęka district, making the necessary investments and repairs, purchasing food and cosmetics.
- For many years we have been taking part in the Wymarzony Prezent (Dream Gift) initiative, making children from children’s homes and families from poorer regions of Poland get the gifts they ask for in their letters to Santa Claus.
- We organise Christmas food collections for the animal shelter in Zielonka.
- We support the Smile Donors Tournament.